2024. április 9.
1899–1926
1899–1926

The children from Mester Street, known as the "Gang of Eleven," gathered in groups to kick the ball and engage in various sports on the land belonging to the Sturza factory located on Tűzoltó Street. Among them were the three Sturza boys, the Békés brothers, István Weisz, and János Malaky. Around this time, Kornél Gabrovitz, a former student from Mester Street who had returned from Prague, came home. He was familiar with the English-style club life that was already in operation at Slavia. He approached Weisz, who was then a reserve goalkeeper at BTC, and persuaded him to establish an association in Ferencváros. Weisz sought out old teammates, but funds were still lacking. It was necessary to find patrons, which was achieved through the cooperation of the affluent citizens of Ferencváros. Initially, it was József Gráf, a master baker, who supported the cause. He convinced the majority of the members of the Ferencváros Civic Circle, including one of the district's most esteemed figures, lawyer Dr. Ferenc Springer, a member of the city council, who ultimately became the first president of the newly established Ferencvárosi Torna Club.

Following the founding of the Ferencvárosi Torna Club on May 3, 1899, and the establishment of the football section on December 3, 1900, FTC quickly became a defining force in the emerging Hungarian football scene. In the 1900s, eight football championships were held, with FTC consistently finishing on the podium: four-time champions, three-time silver medallists, and once bronze medallists. They won the first cup series prize, the Silver Ball, five times, securing the trophy permanently. They brought home the Easter Cup twice and the Corinthian Cup twice, making Ferencváros a significant participant in two major tournaments of the era. Alongside domestic success, the most significant achievement was winning the first international cup, the Challenge Cup.

In the early 1910s, FTC’s football team continued where it left off in 1909: they won the championship five consecutive times by 1913, a club record to this day. In the early 1910s, Ferencváros consistently outperformed their major rival MTK by seven to eight points. The team featured prominent names such as Alajos Fritz, Sándor Bródy, Dr. Gáspár Borbás, Károly Koródy, Mihály Pataky, Imre Payer, Ferenc Weisz, Károly Szeitler, János Weinber II, Ferenc Manglitz, Gyula Rumbold, and of course, Imre Schlosser. However, the Ferencváros team excelled not only in the league but also achieved notable successes in various cups.

With the outbreak of World War I, the football team was severely weakened, as almost everyone received conscription orders. The military took over the pitch, converting the changing rooms into accommodations and part of the field into an artillery park. Many lost their lives on the front or suffered serious injuries. Interestingly, the outbreak of the war did not eliminate the conflicts between clubs; rather, it intensified them. Due to the uncertainties caused by the war, the MLSZ (The Hungarian Football Federation) did not announce the championship. The two largest rival clubs established a series of substitute championship matches. Teams around FTC competed for the Auguszta Trophy, while those around MTK vied for the Hungária Prize in the autumn of 1914. FTC concluded the series it had organized with 11 victories, a perfect record, and a goal difference of 63:1.

Based on our museum's concept, we present the history of our football team to our visitors through a timeline. Upon entering, the timeline starts immediately to the left, beginning with the foundation.

As you enter the museum, directly opposite the entrance is a cylindrical display case showcasing the trophy symbolizing our sixth consecutive championship title. On the other side of the cylinder is a replica of our most recent Hungarian Cup victory.

In the first display case, you can see the invitation to the founding general assembly of FTC.

The story of our foundation can be learned from a summary of the era. It is worth noting briefly that after the return of the Gabrovitz brothers from Prague, they, along with the youth of Ferencváros, decided to establish a club. The relic displayed is the invitation to the founding event held on May 3, 1899, in the ceremonial hall of the Ferenczvárosi Circle at Bakáts Square, marking the beginning of FTC's now 125-year history.

The next item, which deserves closer inspection, relates to our first pitch. Many do not know that Fradi's first pitch was not located on Üllői Road (its current location). The history of the football team, stretching back over 100 years, began not far away on Soroksári Road. The entry ticket displayed in the case

is for this pitch, which cost 20 fillérs at the time (1 forint was equivalent to 100 fillérs). The address of the pitch is noted on the ticket, making it easy for today's visitor to identify the area where the Soroksári ground stood in the early 19th century using Google Maps. The Fradi team left this pitch in 1911, and since February 12, 1911, the Ferencváros stadium has been at its current location.

We must draw attention to the burgundy velvet cap displayed in the next case! This cap was part of the uniform of the Hungarian national team members at the time. It belonged to Dr. Gáspár Borbás, who scored the first championship goal for Ferencváros and is also credited with the national team's first official goal. According to the story, anyone who achieved 25 caps was awarded this cap permanently.

Opposite the ticket office, there is a special display case called the Hypebox. This case also contains interesting items. You can see a piece of brick

from the club's headquarters located at the first Üllői Road pitch, which was inaugurated in 1911, as well as a section preserved for posterity from the pitch with the wooden stands that stood here from 1911 to 1963.

close
Facebook Youtube Instagram TikTok
Viber Spotify Linkedin